Some interesting facts on Roald Dahl, author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
1. Dahl wrote many of his books in a garden shed , sitting upon an old battered armchair. He balanced a specially designed writing board on his lap and wrote with an HB pencil on yellow legal pads.
2. He wrote the screenplays for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Bond movie You Only Live Twice.
3. Dahl passed away from a blood disease on November 23, 1990 at the age of 74. Per his request, he was buried with his favorite things: snooker cues, a bottle of Burgundy, chocolate, HB pencils, and a power saw.
4. He wrote everyday from 10 am to 12 noon and then from 4 pm to 6pm.
5. He was friends with Ernest Hemingway.
6. His teachers didn’t think he was very good at writing when he was at school, Dahl excelled at sports. He was a very good footballer and he enjoyed playing squash.
7. Dahl’s birthday, 13th September, is celebrated every year in libraries and schools as Roald Dahl Day.